Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"Digital Nation"

   


     Technology is what we make of it. Its up to us to limit how much and often we use it. The Digital Nation Documentary discusses many of the negative sides that the growing technology can, will and has caused the world and everyone in it.However, the documentary also discusses a few positive sides of the growing technological world.
     One of the big issues discussed was the students ability to multitask. According to many of the professors in the film, students aren't learning like they use to because they often do to many tasks at once. I personally completely agree with most of what the documentary had to say. I cannot truly engage myself in any form of learning, studying or writing if I am multitasking. If I am txting in class, I'm not really hearing what he or she is saying at all. If I am studying for a test or writing a paper I turn my phone on silent, the TV is off and I can't even listen to music. If I want to engage myself in learning and studying no "multitasking" can be involved. If I am trying to do other technological things while doing my school work, my work quality is definitely not my best. However, some people may be able to do all these different things at once. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences when it comes to this technology topic and they always will.





CELL PHONE FREE.
       At the beginning of the documentary, a woman talked about how vacations weren't really vacations anymore. The picture above is of my friend and in the Bahamas. We couldn't use our cell phones for four days and it was absolutely great. We could actually enjoy everything with out any distractions at all. We actually didn't even turn our phones back on until the day AFTER we got back, because we liked not being constantly bothered or distracted. Would this trip have been different if we were constantly getting txts and FB updates from people at home? Yes it definitely would have been, and not in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment