Monday, January 23, 2012

Digital....native?

To what degree do I consider myself a digital native?......
           Well, its hard to say. I am of course considered to be a digital native because of the generation that I am apart of. The texting, Facebook, youtube and downloading music illegally group. Don't get me wrong I enjoy all the perks that all this new technology brings. However, because of the place where I grew up, all of this new technology craze isn't all that important to me.
For example, for my entire life, I have lived way back in the woods. By way back in the woods i mean, my drive way is about two minuets long. Living in the location that I do means that I only get cell phone service half the time. The most "bars" that I can possibly hope to receive on my iPhone at my house is two. Other than the couple of bars, it's usually no signal until I walk around my house and find a spot where my phone picks up. It has been this way for my ever since I was allowed to have a cell phone in the seventh grade. Many of my friends would sort of freak out when they would come over to my house because their text would only come in every ten minuets instead of seconds later. To me though this has never been a concern.
           Another set back to living where I do is no Internet access. Yes I said it, I've never been able to surf the web or anything for that matter my whole life while living at home, unless I went elsewhere. I literally live so far out that getting an Internet connection isn't really possible. Therefore haven't had a Facebook until around August when I moved to Reinhardt. Not being able to get online was never really a problem for me either. I had my TV which gave me my news and entertainment.

          It's not that I don't want to use technology, because I definitely do. If I could go back and have Internet access at my house during middle and high school would I? absolutely not. I love not having a Facebook and being distracted by other people's status updates and drama. I loved just being able to be around my family instead of being occupied by texting all the time. It's how I've grown up and it's what i am use to. I would call myself a semi digital native. That is because I know how to use all the "great, new technologies" when I need to and it's necessary. However, I don't consume my time with it, I limit myself and use it only when I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment